Tourist Visa- Work Permit or Common Law Residency

Discussion of issues concerning temporary employment in Canada, or temporary entry for business activities.

Tourist Visa- Work Permit or Common Law Residency

Postby dolano79 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:27 pm


I am an irish citizen currently here on a tourist visa until June but am looking for work here in Canada in the mean-time. Was this stupid decision to make to come here without a work permit or is it possible to get work permits WITHIN Canada?

I have been seeing a Canadian citizen for the past three years. So we are considering the common-law partner visa also but this doesn't really suit us as we are not planning on staying here for very long. Does anyone have any suggestions on which line to take?

To keep looking for work and try to get a work permit WITHIN Canada(if this is possible), if this is a possibility or to apply for the common-law spouse visa? thanks for your help!
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:17 pm

Re: Tourist Visa- Work Permit or Common Law Residency

Postby David on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:19 pm

An application for a new work permit would generally have to be submitted at a visa office abroad or at a port of entry. If you apply inland for a Family Class sponsorship, you can seek an open work permit after approval-in-principle, but that will take several months.
Site Admin
Posts: 2469
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:25 am

Return to Canadian Work Visas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Zzttheer5g and 2 guests