Moving to Canada

Discussion of topics concerning becoming a permanent resident or citizen of Canada.

Moving to Canada

Postby rossey27 on Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:24 pm


I am interested to moving to Canada (Ontario/Toronto area) later this year to be with my boyfriend. I currently live in Oregon.

I have been looking into the immigration websites for Canada and it seems like we either have to be married, common law or have $10,000 in my savings to come into the country legally.....(when I move up I will need to start working right away).

Can I apply for a work permit to move into the country and start the permanent resident status once I'm there? The money in the account to apply under skilled worker really concerns me as of course I don't have those kind of funds in my accounts.

Any advice would be greatly appeciated as I seem to be hitting a dead end everywhere else I look.

Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:16 pm

Postby David on Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:59 am


You can seek a work permit first, and then apply for permanent resident status while you are working here; the case may need to be submitted to a visa office abroad. A work permit would typically require that you have a job offer prior to submission of an application, however.

It should be noted that the requirement for settlement funds would still exist in an application under these circumstances. The fact that you would have employment income in Canada at that time, however, may allow you to make an argument for exemption.
Site Admin
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:25 am

Postby Guest on Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:22 am

My family and I hope to relocate to canada (nova scotia area)
Once we have sold our house.
We will have sufficient funds to live on.
But can it be possiable to obtain a work permit and permantent resident status when we are there.
I am a fully qualified carpenter and joiner and a ships carpenter.
Thank you

Postby David on Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:01 pm

You may apply for permanent resident status now, while you reside abroad, or while you are a temporary resident in Canada. In either case, it would generally be necessary to submit the case to a visa office outside of Canada.

In order to be eligible to apply for a temporary work visa, it would be necessary to have a job offer from a Canadian company. You may seek such a visa while you have a permanent resident application in process.
Site Admin
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:25 am

Return to Permanent Resident Visas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: StephenOt and 0 guests

  • Member ICCRC

    Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council member ID R508308