Canadian Work Permits / Work Visas
The following is a summary of frequently asked questions regarding Canadian work permits.
Click on each section heading to get the answers. Is the question you have not answered in the FAQ? Proceed to our Canadian visa forums to get a response.
1. What is a work permit?
2. Is a work permit required for every Canadian province?
3. What is considered work?
4. When is a work permit not required?
5. Once a work permit is issued, can I change employers?
6. Will a work permit lead to permanent resident status?
7. Can I work in Canada on the basis of a work permit in another country?
8. Why does my work permit state "This does not authorize re-entry"?
1. What is an open work permit?
2. Who can apply for an open work permit?
3. Can I convert a standard work permit to an open work permit?
1. Who can offer work in Canada?
2. What should be contained in the offer of work?
3. Can I seek a work permit without an offer of work?
4. A Canadian employer has stated that they cannot make an employment offer until I have a work permit. How do I get the work permit?
1. What is a Labour Market Opinion or Job Offer
2. How long does Confirmation take?
3. When is Confirmation required?
4. What types of jobs are not eligible?
1. Who can apply for a Canadian work permit?
2. Is a part time job offer eligible for a work permit?
3. Where should I apply for a Canadian work permit?
4. Is the application process different for each province?
5. Can I apply while I am inside Canada as a visitor?
6. What documents should I submit in support of the case?
7. How long will it take?
8. Can I start work before I get the permit?
9. Will I need a medical examination?
10. How long is a work permit valid for?
1. Can I include a Family Member in my application?
2. What type of application must be filed for my family member?
3. Can my spouse or common-law partner work in Canada?
4. Does my child need a study permit?
1. Can a work permit be issued for the establishment of a
business in Canada?
2. Can a business-person work in Canada without a job offer?
3. Does a foreign company have to have a division or office in Canada to be able to send employees to do work?
1. Is there anything that I need to do prior to seeking
extension or renewal?
2. Can I extend my work permit once it is issued?
3. When do I need to apply for extension?
4. What happens if my current work permit expires after I apply for extension?
1. Who can advise me in a Canadian work permit application?
2. How can I verify that I am being advised by a licensed practitioner?
3. Can others advise me at any stage of the application process for a fee or other consideration?
4. What are the advantages of retaining a licensed consultant?
4. Am I required to retain representation in order to apply for a work permit?